Lead Data Strategist
About the role
Great State’s focus is on using data more intelligently. This enables us to understand our client’s business’ and audiences better to create award winning experiences.
We have designed this new role to help us in this exciting time of growth for our ‘data’ proposition. This role will be pivotal in developing a team and offering within our ambitious, growing digital agency.
Understanding the business side of the equation is a given for our new team member, alongside excellent communication skills enabling you to liaise directly with the client to define that. However, you must also have the technology and analytics acumen to know what the IT and the data scientists are doing and the tools they are using.As a Lead Data Strategist, you will think in terms of strategy and business impact and be able to translate the ambitions to concrete data-driven initiatives and specific actions. You would also support across a wide range of sectors on exciting client projects for the likes of The Royal Navy, The Army, Honda Europe, Spirax Sarco and Orange to name but a few.
This role sits within our Strategy team and will be key to driving the data agenda across the agency. Collaboration is crucial to this role as you will be working closely with strategists, digital analysts, data scientists, technical architects, developers, and account delivery teams as well as with multiple client stakeholders.
The role will be hands on in the first instance, but for the right person there is a huge opportunity to shape our agency offering and grow the team to reflect this.
Great State is an ambitious independent digital agency of 85 and growing. We have offices in London and Bristol and this role could be affiliated with either.
- Design data strategies for a range of different client needs (CRM, digital, social) including the development of roadmaps to support future product growth and improved data maturity
- Act as a data specialist for our clients, using data strategy and analytical techniques to help design connected customer experiences - considering data collection, personalisation, predictive modelling, segmentation, marketing automation
- Develop innovative approaches to data solutions – leveraging analytics, automation, and diverse datasets to decode consumer behaviour and gain a deeper understanding of performance
- Act as expert on latest technology trends & products in the space of data, analytics, machine learning and/or AI, and consider how these can be applied to our existing clients – proactively working with client partners to create opportunities
- Work with internal stakeholders and clients to embed best practice measurement, dashboarding / reporting, and insight generation at the heart of all our work – ensuring work is always insightful and action-oriented
- Manage the output of the ‘data and analytics’ team - defining opportunities, creating proposals for clients, resource management (permanent and freelance) and ongoing strategic development.
- Contribute to new business pitches and proposals
- Contribute to our Great State thought leadership programme - you’ll have an opinion on all things digital and data and be comfortable sharing these
- Manage and mentor a small team of digital analysts, along with a wider pool of freelance data specialists and justify further hires
You are someone who likes to work in close collaboration with other disciplines and clients. You are entrepreneurial and relish the opportunity to be a part of something new and dynamic.
We recruit from all types of background, but we’d be looking for the following from you:
- At least 5 years working in data and analytics
- Detailed working knowledge of a broad range of data and analytical tools, along with data processing, automation, orchestration and storage tools and services
- You will have solid analytical skills for interpreting data, telling stories and making meaningful recommendations and conclusions with the wider team. You can manipulate datasets to help understand customer behaviour, make product recommendations and deliver value against business objectives
- Excellent communication/data storytelling skills, ability to distil complex ideas for non-technical audiences
- Passionate about technology incl. data, analytics, machine learning and AI, with a desire to continually learn and push the boundaries, and take people on that journey with you
- Good understanding of security, privacy and compliance of data.
- Confidence and comfortable working in a fast-paced, changing environment
- You’ll always have an opinion (but are able to express it ever-so-charmingly!), with excellent verbal and written communication – able to construct your views and opinions into a compelling argument
- Have exceptional senior client handling skills - you’re believable and authoritative
- Ideally have had experience of leading/mentoring more junior members
We offer all the usual fun benefits associated with a digital agency plus flexible working hours, the ability to work from home, and 27 days holiday, plus bank holidays. We welcome fresh opinions and strive for an inclusive environment.
If this role suits you down to a tee, apply now. No agencies please.
Great State is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities.